Appreciation Post : To My Favorite Poet

All Poems
by Mahmoud Darwish 
( 1941 - 2008 )
All Hilightened Part May Be My Fav Sentences





#1

To a Young Poet

Don’t believe our outlines, forget them 
and begin from your own words. 
As if you are the first to write poetry 
or the last poet.

If you read our work, let it not be an extension of our airs, 
but to correct our errs 
in the book of agony.

Don’t ask anyone: Who am I?
You know who your mother is.
As for your father, be your own.

Truth is white, write over it 
with a crow’s ink.
Truth is black, write over it
with a mirage’s light.

If you want to duel with a falcon
soar with the falcon.

If you fall in love with a woman, 
be the one, not she,
who desires his end.

Life is less alive than we think but we don’t think
of the matter too much lest we hurt emotions’ health.

If you ponder a rose for too long
you won’t budge in a storm.

You are like me, but my abyss is clear. 
And you have roads whose secrets never end.
They descend and ascend, descend and ascend.

You might call the end of youth 
the maturity of talent
or wisdom. No doubt, it is wisdom,
the wisdom of a cool non-lyric.

One thousand birds in the hand
don’t equal one bird that wears a tree.

A poem in a difficult time 
is beautiful flowers in a cemetery.

Example is not easy to attain
so be yourself and other than yourself 
behind the borders of echo.

Ardor has an expiration date with extended range.
So fill up with fervor for your heart’s sake,
follow it before you reach your path.

Don’t tell the beloved, you are I 
and I am you, say
the opposite of that: we are two guests
of an excess, fugitive cloud.

Deviate, with all your might, deviate from the rule.

Don’t place two stars in one utterance
and place the marginal next to the essential 
to complete the rising rapture.

Don’t believe the accuracy of our instructions. 
Believe only the caravan’s trace.

A moral is as a bullet in its poet’s heart 
a deadly wisdom.
Be strong as a bull when you’re angry 
weak as an almond blossom 
when you love, and nothing, nothing 
when you serenade yourself in a closed room.

The road is long like an ancient poet’s night: 
plains and hills, rivers and valleys.
Walk according to your dream’s measure: either a lily
follows you or the gallows.

Your tasks are not what worry me about you.
I worry about you from those who dance 
over their children’s graves,
and from the hidden cameras
in the singers’ navels.

You won’t disappoint me, 
if you distance yourself from others, and from me. 
What doesn’t resemble me is more beautiful.

From now on, your only guardian is a neglected future.

Don’t think, when you melt in sorrow 
like candle tears, of who will see you 
or follow your intuition’s light.
Think of yourself: is this all of myself?

The poem is always incomplete, the butterflies make it whole.

No advice in love. It’s experience.
No advice in poetry. It’s talent.

And last but not least, Salaam.


#2
If I Were Another

If I were another on the road, I would not have looked
back, I would have said what one traveler said
to another: Stranger! awaken
the guitar more! Delay our tomorrow so our road
may extend and space may widen for us, and we may get rescued
from our story together: you are so much yourself ... and I am
so much other than myself right here before you!

If I were another I would have belonged to the road,
neither you nor I would return. Awaken the guitar
and we might sense the unknown and the route that tempts
the traveler to test gravity. I am only
my steps, and you are both my compass and my chasm.
If I were another on the road, I would have
hidden my emotions in the suitcaseso my poem
would be of water, diaphanous, white,
abstract, and lightweight ... stronger than memory,
and weaker than dewdrops, and I would have said:
My identity is this expanse!

If I were another on the road, I would have said
to the guitar: Teach me an extra string!
Because the house is farther, and the road to it prettier—
that’s what my new song would say. Whenever
the road lengthens the meaning renews, and I become two
on this road: I ... and another!


#3


I Come From There



I come from there and I have memories 
Born as mortals are, I have a mother 

And a house with many windows, 

I have brothers, friends, 

And a prison cell with a cold window. 

Mine is the wave, snatched by sea-gulls, 
I have my own view, 
And an extra blade of grass. 
Mine is the moon at the far edge of the words, 
And the bounty of birds, 
And the immortal olive tree. 
I walked this land before the swords 
Turned its living body into a laden table. 
I come from there. I render the sky unto her mother 
When the sky weeps for her mother. 
And I weep to make myself known 
To a returning cloud. 
I learnt all the words worthy of the court of blood 
So that I could break the rule. 
I learnt all the words and broke them up 
To make a single word: Homeland..... 






© All Copyrights to Mahmoud Darwish, I don't own anything.

sources: https://www.poetryfoundation.org

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Kuliah Pancasila: Pertemuan ke-9 "Pancasila sebagai Sistem Filsafat (1)"

UAS APLIKOM

Education vs Sport: Which one should be Our concern?